NBCU Launch New Mexico Directors Initiative
In partnership with the New Mexico Film Office, this Initiative provides valuable shadowing opportunities for film and television directors on NBCUniversal productions in New Mexico, creating a pipeline of in-state talent for future productions.
SUBMISSION PERIOD and PROGRAM TIMELINE
- Applicants must be authorized to work legally in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not offered to program participants.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the start of the Initiative.
- Applicant must show proof that they are a current resident of the state of New Mexico.
- Must have directing experience in respective fields including but not limited to full-length feature films, short films, music videos, commercials, digital content, and unscripted programming. Applicants who have more than one directing credit on a broadcast, cable, or streaming series are ineligible.
Those applying must submit a complete application package, which includes the following items:
- APPLICATION must be completed in its entirety. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- 2 DIRECTING SAMPLES that capture the director’s unique visual style and ability to direct performers. All samples must be live-action narrative content (i.e., Feature Film, Short Film, Webisode, etc.). The applicant must be the sole director of all samples submitted. Animation directing samples will not be accepted.
- RELEASE FORMS must be completed, signed, and dated, in order for submissions to be accepted. Incomplete release forms will result in disqualification. Digital signatures are accepted.
- RÉSUMÉ outlining chronological paid employment history (may include entertainment and non-entertainment positions) and any directing-related honors/awards. Positions must have been held within the past 15 years (two pages or less). Only list compensated positions, with the exception of entertainment industry internships and full-time volunteer work at non-profits. If listing directing projects, only include projects that were produced. The applicant’s résumé will provide us an understanding of their work history and insight into their individual life experiences.
PERSONAL ESSAYS articulate the applicant’s unique perspective and background as it relates to their creative process. Applicant must answer both (2) essay questions, and EACH essay must not exceed 400 words.
(OPTIONAL) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION from entertainment industry professionals who have watched the applicant’s work and can comment on the applicant’s directing ability. Letters of recommendation are strongly encouraged, but not required. Acceptable letters must be on business or personal letterhead, dated in the current calendar year and include the author’s title and/or industry affiliation. No more than two letters per application will be accepted. Letters must accompany the submission and may not be submitted separately via email or mail. Any recommendation letters emailed or mailed to the Program separate from the director’s application will not be accepted. Letter(s) from agents, managers, attorneys, etc. are considered a conflict of interest and will not be considered.
Any candidate who does not meet the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified.
Due to the volume of submissions received, only those applicants who are selected to participate in the Program will be notified. Applicants who are not selected will not be notified. Please check our social media pages for updates on the selection process. Selections will be announced a few weeks before the Initiative commences.